ITS Book Club | Books
Tug Use In Port Third Edition
Price: £40.00 Hardback ITS Club Discount Available of 10%
This book is specifically written with the needs of maritime professionals involved in the day-to-day practice and training of ship handling with tugs in mind, particularly pilots, tug masters and training instructors. It should also be of value to towing companies, shipmasters and mates of seagoing vessels and all other persons or organisations involved, one way or another, with tugs and ship handling.
Some significant changes have been made in this third edition, including:
- The inclusion of several new tug designs, as well as terminal tugs, environmentally friendly tugs, Japanese style tugs, and tugs that operate in icy conditions.
- Tug assistance in ports, and ice-covered fairways, is further addressed, as is tug assistance in locks. Bow-to-bow operations are discussed in more detail.
- Stability has been further explained, along with recommendations for tug masters with respect to stability.
- Environmental limits for tug operations are discussed, based on the results of the SafeTug JIP (Joint Industry Project), and attention is paid to operating in fog conditions.
- The impact of crew reduction, another important item, is addressed.
- Information on towing winches, towing hooks, towlines, towline friction and SWLs of ship's deck equipment has all been updated, and the need to use proper heaving lines addressed.
- New aspects of training are included - such as training for LNG tugs, LNG locations, ice and wave conditions - as well as new developments in training tools, eg specific tug simulators, scaled down and miniature tugs.
- New technical developments, such as virtual and augmented reality, are discussed - along with use of simulators for human factor studies.
- The escort chapter has been thoroughly reviewed, including the reasons for escorting and an update on various escort regulations.
- The topic of autonomous ships is discussed, including the possible effects on tugs and tug operations.
- The important issues of risk assessment and safety management systems are newly included in this edition, along with commentary on the effects of the US Subchapter M.